After Root Canal TherapyIt is normal to feel some tenderness in the area for a few days after your root canal treatment as your body undergoes the natural healing process. You may also feel some tenderness in your jaw from keeping it open for an extended period of time. These symptoms are temporary and usually respond very well to over-the-counter pain medications (Advil, Tylenol, etc.). Remember that narcotic medications, if prescribed, may make you drowsy, and caution should be exercised in operating dangerous machinery or driving a car after taking them. Also, to avoid nausea, do not take narcotics on an empty stomach. If antibiotics were prescribed, make sure that you take them as directed and until they are all gone. Your tooth may continue to feel slightly different from your other teeth for some time after your root canal treatment has been completed.
Guidelines for Post-Treatment Care
- Do not eat anything until the numbness in your mouth wears off. This will prevent you from biting your cheek or tongue.
- To ensure you do not fracture your tooth, do not chew or bite on the treated tooth until you have had it restored by your dentist.
- If the opening in your tooth was restored with a temporary filling material, it is not unusual for a thin layer to wear off in-between appointments. However, if you think the entire filling has come out please call our office.
- A proper final restoration of the tooth is extremely important in ensuring long-term success. The tooth should be permanently restored no later than 6-8 weeks following treatment to prevent bacteria from compromising the root canal therapy.
- Contact your dentist as soon as possible to arrange your next appointment.
- Contact us if any of the following situations arise: a visible swelling develops inside or outside of your mouth, an allergic reaction to medication occurs, including rash, hives or itching (nausea is not an allergic reaction), pain does not resolve after a few weeks
If all went well, please let your dentist know—if not, please let us know